This RFP seeks proposals for a high-quality, mixed-use, wellness-oriented development with affordable housing, including a set-aside of permanent supportive housing units, and shelter beds for the homeless on the westernmost portion of the Kingsboro Psychiatric Center campus in East Flatbush, Brooklyn. This RFP is being issued as part of New York State’s Vital Brooklyn initiative.
The total available developable land is approximately 7.2 acres or 313,000 square feet. The Site is located in Brooklyn Community District 9, along with neighborhoods such as Prospect Lefferts Gardens and Crown Heights. The Site also borders Community District 17 (East Flatbush), which is markedly less dense.
Respondents must include the following in the development program of any Proposal:
- Affordable rental housing units, 35% of which must be Supportive Units as described in the Introduction. The OMH Supportive Units must account for 100 of the Supportive Units. The remaining Supportive Units may be drawn from other supportive population groups, including those outlined in the Assembly District 43 community priorities found in Appendix E.
- Homeownership units created in accordance with the HCR homeownership term sheet (see Appendix L), accounting for approximately 10% of the residential units created through the Project.
The Site is currently home to two single-adult men’s shelters. Proposals must include replacement of the Site’s 364 existing shelter beds within two newly-built shelters.
Proposals must include a signature publicly accessible open space of at least one acre in size.
Proposals should include a childcare center and workforce training facility to be run by the 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East.
Proposals must also include active ground floor uses that are financially feasible, responsive to tenant mix, and enhance the current inventory in the neighborhood; a pedestrian-friendly circulation plan that better connects the Site to the surrounding neighborhood, with consideration of the adjacent street grid; and contextual building massing and thoughtful architectural techniques to ensure a vibrant and engaged streetscape along the Albany, Winthrop, and Clarkson frontages.
Respondents, firms, or joint ventures of firms must demonstrate collectively significant experience, expertise and capacity in:
- Developing and operating mixed-use projects that incorporate affordable housing, supportive housing, community space (preferably with public health and wellness-oriented amenities), and commercial space;
- Developing and operating homeless shelters; and
- Investing equity in substantial or ground-up real estate development projects.
Each Respondent must provide examples of at least two completed similar projects in the last ten years for which the Respondent acted as a developer and/or principal operator of buildings incorporating affordable and supportive housing, community space and commercial space. Each Respondent Team must have at least one member with experience operating a single-adult men’s homeless shelter of a comparable scale to those required by this RFP. HCR and ESD would also prefer that a not-for-profit hold an ownership interest and primary operating role in each building that includes supportive units.
Respondents should use $40 per buildable square foot as the purchase price.
The deadline for submission is on or before 2:00 PM EST on November 6, 2020.
Seven hard copies and one electronic copy (in the form of a USB flash drive) of the Proposal identified as “Kingsboro Psychiatric Center RFP” must be received by ESD by November 6, 2020 at 2:00 PM at the following address:
Empire State Development
633 Third Avenue, 35th Floor
New York, NY 10017
Attn: Ralph Volcy
Re: Kingsboro Psychiatric Center RFP
For More Information
See the RFP on HCR’s website.
Primary Contact: Ralph Volcy
Secondary Contact: John Discolo
All contacts/inquiries shall be made by email to the following address: KPCRFP@esd.ny.gov
Last updated: 08/14/2020