HHAP provides capital subsidy for development of permanent supportive housing, transitional housing, and shelter in NYS.
Tenant Eligibility Criteria
People who are homeless or at risk of homelessness who are unable to secure housing without special assistance.
Populations include: veterans, people living with HIV/AIDS, people struggling with substance abuse, with mental illness, ex-offenders, the chronically homeless, victims of domestic violence and youth, including young adults aging out of foster care.
Nonprofit developers of permanent supportive housing, transitional housing, emergency shelters. Priority is given to permanent supportive housing ESSHI projects and supportive housing for homeless veterans and their families.
A total of $128 million is available in 2020-21.
The project must remain in service for a term of at least 25 years.
- HHAP can fund 100% of the capital cost, though this is more typical of projects outside New York City. In New York City, HHAP funding is often viewed as critical seed money or gap financing to secure capital financing for projects.
- At least $5 million must be awarded each year for HIV/AIDS housing. Additionally, up to $1 million may be used for emergency shelter repairs.
- HHAP funds can only be awarded for units in a building that house homeless or formerly homeless households.
- Applicants should not apply if the project is not ready to begin development activities.
- No single sponsoring organization can receive more than 25% of the funds available in a fiscal year.
- OTDA has a priority for projects with Empire State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI) awards.
- No single geographic region can receive more than 60% of the funds. For these purposes, HHAC divides New York State into three separate regions: New York City (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Richmond), suburbs (Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk) and the rest of the state.
- Applications will be accepted by mail only, starting on October 9, 2020. HHAP is an open-window RFP. Applications will be approved until funding is exhausted.
- Important Dates
- RFP Release Date: 8/31/20
- Webex Application Workshop: 9/16/20 at 1 p.m.
- Questions Due: Accepted continuously
- Questions Posted on Website: Continuously
- Applications Will be Accepted: Starting 10/9/20 (open window)
For More Information
See the RFP here. Written questions on the RFP will be accepted on an ongoing basis and can be directed to the contact below.
tel : 518-473-2587
Last updated: 09/08/2020