Other Housing in New York City

Those ineligible for supportive housing still have many housing options in New York City.

Affordable housing

The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) offers low- and moderate-income housing in all five boroughs. Visit NYCHA’s website to learn more and apply.

The New York City Dept. of Housing Preservation & Development's (HPD) NYC Housing Connect provides a registry of accessible housing units from across New York City. Users can search for housing by location and/or by specific income, age or disability requirements. Most of these units are affordable in nature.

If you’re a veteran

Veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness can call the US Department of Veterans Affairs’ National Call Center for Homeless Veterans hotline. The number is 1-877-4AID-VET (877-424-3838). Learn more about the National Call Center at the VA’s website


If you’re a domestic violence survivor

The Human Resource Administration's Office of Domestic Violence offers a 24-hour hotline, which domestic violence survivors can access. To learn more, visit this website or call 311.

New Destiny Housing’s Housing Resource Center offers relevant information for domestic violence survivors seeking housing in New York City.

If you’re a senior

The New York City Department of Aging offers a comprehensive online list of senior housing through the city. You can also learn more about senior housing by contacting the city at 311 or 212-NEW-YORK for those outside New York City.

If you’re physically disabled

For housing for people with physical disabilities, contact the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities. Call the agency at 212-788-2830 or visit its website.

You can also contact the Center for the Independence of the Disabled. CIDNY provides referrals, assistance and resources for individuals looking for affordable and accessible housing. Consult the Center’s housing guide for more information.

If you’re formerly incarcerated

The Fortune Society provides information on housing for individuals recently released from incarceration. Visit the organization’s website or call 212-206-7070.

If you’re a young adult

1-800-RUNAWAY offers information for youth looking for housing. Visit the organization’s website or call them at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

The New York City Department of Youth & Community Development (DYCD) also offers resources for runaway and homeless youth. Follow the link and choose "Runaway & Homeless Youth" from the first drop-down menu.

If you’re seeking legal services

The New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development provides a list of legal services and community-based organizations that can help with your housing issues. To learn more, visit this webpage.

LawHelp also offers housing-related legal services.