An enormous THANK YOU to the more than 1,200 members of the supportive housing community who attended the 12th Annual New York State Supportive Housing Conference on June 7! See here for presentation materials, videos and podcasts from all 22 workshops.
For those who missed it, both the State and City had excellent news to share:
- NYC Housing Authority (NYCHA) Chair John Rhea and NYC Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) Commissioner Mathew Wambua unveiled the City’s new plan to use new resources from HPD, NYCHA and HDC to double supportive housing development in New York City, from 500 to 1,000 units a year!
- NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) Commissioner Darryl Towns officially announced $60 million in new annual spending passed in Governor Cuomo’s budget for the Medicaid Redesign Team’s Supportive Housing Development Fund. State officials from OMH, OASAS, OTDA and DOH described in detail how these new resources would be apportioned in 2012, including new capital resources and new scattered-site RFPs. Beth Berlin of the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) also announced that the agency would be restoring $6 million in funding for supportive housing services under the New York State Supportive Housing Program (NYSSHP).
The Network is enormously pleased by the City and State’s new commitments to supportive housing and looks forward to continuing its partnerships in the years to come.
To learn more about these exciting developments, see the following links:
- Coverage in the Wall Street Journal
- Press release from HPD's office
- Article in the New York Nonprofit Press
- Article from Housing First!
Thanks to everyone in the supportive housing community who made this our most successful conference yet!
The above YouTube playlist contains 11 videos from the conference morning plenary. To view a list of all videos, see here. Speakers from the plenary include HPD Commissioner Mathew Wambua, HCR Commissioner Darryl Towns, NYCHA Chairman John Rhea, State Medicaid Director Jason Helgerson, OMH Commission Michael Hogan, OASAS Executive Deputy Commissioner Kathleen Caggiano-Siino, OTDA Executive Deputy Commissioner Elizabeth Berlin, Network Board Chair Bill Traylor and Network Executive Director Ted Houghton.
This photo gallery includes pictures from the morning plenary, workshops and the post-conference cocktail reception.
Browse all workshops here!
for News and Updates
Did you know…
A program for formerly incarcerated individuals with mental illness found that those receiving supportive housing were 61% less likely to be re-incarcerated.