Supportive housing helps formerly homeless people gain control of their lives and their ailments, from mental illness to HIV/AIDS. The following studies illustrate the tangible health benefits of permanent supportive housing.
- Long Term Supportive Housing is Associated with Decreased Risk For New HIV Diagnosis
AIDS and Behaviour, Springer Nature 2018
- Study: Coupling Vouchers With Supportive Services Helps Veterans Find Housing
This report examines the HUD-VA program of providing case management and housing vouchers to homeless veterans from 2008-2014 in four cities. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 2017.
- RAND Corporation Study on LA’s Housing for Health Permanent Supportive Housing Program
Rand Corporation, 2017.
- Utilization Evaluation of the Medicaid Redesign Team (MRT) Supportive Housing Initiative
The New York State Department of Health recently released SUNY Research Foundation’s utilization evaluation of the Medicaid Redesign Team (MRT) Supportive Housing initiative, 2017.
- From Surviving the Streets to Aging in Place
Reducing Barriers to Effective Health Care in Supportive Housing for Formerly Homeless Seniors. A report on the Elder Care Health Outreach Pilot Initiative.
Breaking Ground, 2016
- Integrating Housing & Health
Center for Outcomes Research & Education (CORE), 2014
- Getting Home
The Economic Roundtable, 2013
- Road to Recovery: Client Experiences in Supportive Housing
Center for Addiction and Mental Health, 2012
- Care Coordination Model
Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2011
- Effect of a Housing Program on Hospital Use
Journal of the American Medical Association, 2009, Laura S. Sadowski et al.
- Cost Effectiveness of Housing As HIV Prevention and Care
Nancy Bernstine, 2009
- Health Care and Public Service Use and Costs
Journal of the American Medical Association, 2009, Mary E. Larimer et al.
- Rethinking Service Delivery for High-Cost Medicaid Patients
Medicaid Institute at United Hospital Fund, 2009
- Health Impacts of Supportive Housing on HIV+ Homeless Patients
American Journal of Public Health, 2009, David Buchanan et al.
- Supportive Housing in Illinois: A Wise Investment
The Heartland Alliance Mid-America Institute on Poverty, 2009
- Home & Healthy for Good
Massachusetts Housing and Shelter Alliance, 2009
- Cost of Rural Homelessness
Melany Mondello, et al., 2009
- The Minnesota Supportive Housing and Managed Care Pilot
National Center on Family Homelessness, 2009
- Rhode Island’s Housing First Program Evaluation
Eric Hirsch, et al., 2008
- Cost and Threshold Analysis of Housing as an HIV Intervention
AIDS Behavior, 2007, David R. Holtgrave et al.
- Housing Is HIV Prevention and Health Care
National AIDS Housing Coalitioin, 2007
- Findings from a Pilot Study of Homeless Dually Diagnosed Adults
Central City Concern, 2006
- Impact of Supportive Housing on Acute Care Health Services
Psychiatric Services, 2006, Tia E. Martinez et al.
- The Health of Homeless Adults in New York City
New York City DHS and DOHMH, 2005
- Direct Access to Housing
San Francisco Department of Public Health, 2004
- Connecticut Supportive Housing Demonstration Program
Arthur Andersen LLP, 2002
- Collecting and Using Practice-Based Evidence
Housing Works, 2010
- Supportive Housing and the Public Health Crisis of Homelessness
Corporation for Supportive Housing, 2000
- Hospital Costs Associated with Homelessness in New York City
New England Journal of Medicine, 1998, Sharon A. Salit et al.