Supportive housing helps formerly homeless people gain control of their lives and their ailments, from mental illness to HIV/AIDS. The following studies illustrate the tangible health benefits of permanent supportive housing.
- From Surviving the Streets to Aging in Place
Reducing Barriers to Effective Health Care in Supportive Housing for Formerly Homeless Seniors. A report on the Elder Care Health Outreach Pilot Initiative.
Breaking Ground, 2016
- Integrating Housing & Health
Center for Outcomes Research & Education (CORE), 2014
- Getting Home
The Economic Roundtable, 2013
- Road to Recovery: Client Experiences in Supportive Housing
Center for Addiction and Mental Health, 2012
- Care Coordination Model
Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2011
- Effect of a Housing Program on Hospital Use
Journal of the American Medical Association, 2009, Laura S. Sadowski et al.
- Cost Effectiveness of Housing As HIV Prevention and Care
Nancy Bernstine, 2009
- Health Care and Public Service Use and Costs
Journal of the American Medical Association, 2009, Mary E. Larimer et al.
- Rethinking Service Delivery for High-Cost Medicaid Patients
Medicaid Institute at United Hospital Fund, 2009
- Health Impacts of Supportive Housing on HIV+ Homeless Patients
American Journal of Public Health, 2009, David Buchanan et al.
- Supportive Housing in Illinois: A Wise Investment
The Heartland Alliance Mid-America Institute on Poverty, 2009
- Home & Healthy for Good
Massachusetts Housing and Shelter Alliance, 2009
- Cost of Rural Homelessness
Melany Mondello, et al., 2009
- The Minnesota Supportive Housing and Managed Care Pilot
National Center on Family Homelessness, 2009
- Rhode Island’s Housing First Program Evaluation
Eric Hirsch, et al., 2008
- Cost and Threshold Analysis of Housing as an HIV Intervention
AIDS Behavior, 2007, David R. Holtgrave et al.
- Housing Is HIV Prevention and Health Care
National AIDS Housing Coalitioin, 2007
- Findings from a Pilot Study of Homeless Dually Diagnosed Adults
Central City Concern, 2006
- Impact of Supportive Housing on Acute Care Health Services
Psychiatric Services, 2006, Tia E. Martinez et al.
- The Health of Homeless Adults in New York City
New York City DHS and DOHMH, 2005
- Direct Access to Housing
San Francisco Department of Public Health, 2004
- Connecticut Supportive Housing Demonstration Program
Arthur Andersen LLP, 2002
- Collecting and Using Practice-Based Evidence
Housing Works, 2010
- Supportive Housing and the Public Health Crisis of Homelessness
Corporation for Supportive Housing, 2000
- Hospital Costs Associated with Homelessness in New York City
New England Journal of Medicine, 1998, Sharon A. Salit et al.