In the Media
As an innovative solution to the problem of chronic homelessness, supportive housing is the regular subject of news stories in New York and across the country. The following articles, videos and blog posts represent just a sample of the recent and/or seminal press related to supportive housing.
- The homelessness Trump could cause
Four leading advocates including Network's Mascuch pen this op-ed.
- Offering the Homeless Help and Hope, On Their Own Terms
Supportive housing is the first step to recovery.
- NB2: Stories of Hope – Matt Urban Hope Center
Matt Urban Hope Center provides more than just a home.
- Assembly Votes To Release $1 Billion For New Supportive Housing
New York State Assembly Social Services Chair Andrew Hevesi (A.D.28) announced on April 10th the New York State Assembly and New York State Senate voted to release $1 billion for the development of the first 6,000 new units of supportive housing in the next five years to address the state’s growing homeless crisis.
- Can Andrew Cuomo Really Deliver On His Housing Promises?
An advocacy group estimates that frozen funding has resulted in the lost production of 1,000 affordable housing units per month since April 2016.
- Trump Tax Plan Could Mean Funding Gaps for Affordable Housing Projects
Due to the uncertain future of the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program.
- A Prescription Ben Carson Can Write on Homelessness
Executive Director Laura Mascuch's op-ed decries President Trump's proposed cuts of $6.2 billion to HUD.
- Shelly Nortz on Capitol Pressroom
Shelly Nortz, Deputy Executive Director for Policy at the Coalition for the Homeless, on Capitol Pressroom with Susan Arbetter.
- Housing advocates renew push for funding
Money remains blocked as impasse between Cuomo, lawmakers continues.
- Federal funds will help fight homelessness in Central New York
WSYR-TV (Syracuse) reports that central New York is receiving more than $10 million to end homelessness. The money is part of $60 million in federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development designated to end homelessness.