Supportive Housing in New York City

Photos courtesy of Project Renewal and Housing and Services, Inc.

New York City residents looking for supportive housing should consult the following resources or programs. If you don't qualify for supportive housing, you can consult this list of affordable units within supportive housing residences.

The NY/NY III Agreement

The 2005 New York/New York III Agreement continues to create supportive housing for individuals who are homeless and fit nine population types.

To apply for NY/NY III supportive housing, a referral agency must complete an HRA 2010e form.

If you are Seriously Mentally Ill: SPOA housing

The HRA 2010e application form can also be completed for Single Point of Access (SPOA) housing, a range of housing/program opportunities for individuals living with mental illness. Consult this CUCS guide for how to access housing through the New York State Office of Mental Health’s SPOA Program.

To learn whether you’re eligible for supportive housing, speak with your shelter case manager. You can also call CUCS at 212-801-3343 to access mental health case management and/or Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) services.

Note: SPOA is not open to individuals who reside in shelters. These individuals should consult a case manager at the shelter.

If you’re homeless: NY/NY I and II

New York City also has NY/NY I and II supportive housing units for individuals living with serious mental illness who are homeless. How to Access NY/NY I, II & III housing here.

If you have HIV/AIDS

If you’re homeless or at serious risk of homelessness and you have HIV/AIDS, contact the New York City Human Resource Administration’s (HRA) HIV / AIDS Services Administration (HASA) Services. If your case is approved, HASA will appoint you a case manager, who will then assist with the housing placement process. To contact HASA’s Service Line, call 1-212-971-0626.

If you're a frequent Medicaid user

More than a dozen NYC nonprofits currently have contracts to provide supportive housing for homeless or unstably housed individuals who are high-cost Medicaid users. The criteria to live in these apartments varies based on the government agency funding them. This handout offers an overview of Medicaid Redesign Team (MRT) housing and contact information for all nonprofits that operate these apartments. You can use the email addresses and phone numbers here to learn about vacancies.

If you're a veteran

Veterans can access supportive housing through the HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) program. To apply for a VASH voucher, you must contact one of three VA health centers in New York City. Centers are located in Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx.

And here is the most updated Housing Vacancy List for 2017.

Know of a resource we missed? Let us know!