In the Media
As an innovative solution to the problem of chronic homelessness, supportive housing is the regular subject of news stories in New York and across the country. The following articles, videos and blog posts represent just a sample of the recent and/or seminal press related to supportive housing.
- Jericho Project Offers Hope for Homeless Veterans and LGBTQ Youth
Fox 5 News showcases Jericho Project's work with homeless vets, and profiles Lisa Spencer whose struggle with homelessness and substance abuse came to a happy conclusion with the support of Jericho Project.
- Problems of Housing Mentally Ill People Spill onto the Street
The New York Times reports on the problems with homeless shelters and advocates the need for supportive housing to replace them, as a man from the Fort Washington Armory, a homeless shelter for the mentally ill, attacks a local restaurant owner in Washington Heights.
- Proven Homelessness-Fighting Program Loses State Funding, Faces Uncertain Future
The Gotham Gazette writes that more than 60,000 people will spend the night in a New York City homeless shelter tonight. Estimates suggest roughly one-third struggle with untreated mental illness...
- The Opinion Pages: Homeless in New York City, An Unending Crisis
The New York Times writes about the crisis of homelessness that ballooned under Mayor Michael Bloomberg showing no signs of deflating anytime soon under his successor, Bill de Blasio. Nearly 57,000 people were sleeping in city shelters at last count, 24,000 of them children. It was a disaster then. It is a disaster now.
- Uncertain Future for New York Housing Program That Helps Mentally Ill Homeless People
The New York Times reports on a New York City housing program that over two decades has placed thousands of homeless people with mental illnesses and other disabilities in their own apartments.
- Advocate’s Plea: Don’t Blur Line Between Shelters and Supportive Housing
In CityLimits.org, Network Executive Director Laura Mascuch clarifies the distinction between supportive housing and shelters and gives a rousing call for a fully funded NY/NY 4.
- Officials break ground on Walnut Avenue housing project
The Niagara Gazette reports that Housing Visions Inc., a Syracuse not-for-profit, broke ground on its Walnut Avenue Homes project, a mixture of infill housing and apartments set to be rented to low- to moderate-income residents.
- Ambitious Call for de Blasio, Cuomo to Build Supportive Housing
City Limits reviews Mayor de Blasio's and Governor Cuomo's plans for expanding supportive housing in New York City and New York State.
- Supportive Housing: Solutions Beyond Shelter for the Chronically Homeless
MetroFocus reports on supportive housing in the Bronx, highlighting Palladia's Fox Point and Common Ground's Prince George.
- First Development in NYC Under N.Y.‘s Medicaid Redesign Program Nears Completion
A positive review of the first supportive housing development financed via New York's MRT Program.