In the Media
As an innovative solution to the problem of chronic homelessness, supportive housing is the regular subject of news stories in New York and across the country. The following articles, videos and blog posts represent just a sample of the recent and/or seminal press related to supportive housing.
- Shelly Nortz on Capitol Pressroom
Shelly Nortz, Deputy Executive Director for Policy at the Coalition for the Homeless, on Capitol Pressroom with Susan Arbetter.
- Housing advocates renew push for funding
Money remains blocked as impasse between Cuomo, lawmakers continues.
- Federal funds will help fight homelessness in Central New York
WSYR-TV (Syracuse) reports that central New York is receiving more than $10 million to end homelessness. The money is part of $60 million in federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development designated to end homelessness.
- Housing Experts Discuss Housing MOU
Including Network Executive Director Laura Mascuch, on Capital Tonight. Link here.
- Advocates urge legislative leaders to agree on $2 billion for affordable housing
In City & State, Ashley Hupfel writes "Affordable housing advocates and stakeholders on Tuesday sent letters to Gov. Andrew Cuomo and both state legislative leaders urging them to meet and sign a finalized memorandum of understanding to release $2 billion in funding for affordable housing." Link here.
- Network Executive Director Laura Mascuch on Capitol Pressroom
Capitol Pressroom on Sept. 15, 2016: Sen. Cathy Young, Jolie Milstein and Laura Mascuch, Bob Bellafiore and Steve Greenberg, Bruce Goldstein. Link here.
- Cuomo finally signs agreement to release $2 billion for affordable housing after weeks of protests
Joe Anuta writes in Crain's New York Business: After weeks of criticism from advocacy groups, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday an agreement to release nearly $2 billion in affordable housing money. The so-called memorandum of understanding is not a done deal, however, since it still needs signatures from the heads of both the state Assembly and the Senate. Link here.
- Cuomo calls on lawmakers to OK $2 billion in funding to tackle homelessness
Glenn Blain in the Daily News writes: Gov. Cuomo pushed his legislative colleagues to put up or shut up on fighting homelessness Wednesday with a $2 billion shot across the bow. Link here.
- Success and Struggles Point to a Better Way to Help NYC’s Chronically Homeless
City Limits chronicles the story of Mark Williams at the roof garden of the Jericho Project where he lives on Kingsbridge Terrace in the Bronx. He has been visiting the VA hospital regularly to exercise and get care for his diabetes. Link here.
- Advocates fume as state housing plan delayed until 2017
Joe Anuta in Crain's New York Business writes: affordable housing groups blast Gov. Andrew Cuomo for allocating money in budget without outlining how the state will spend it. Link here.